Sunday, May 31, 2015

Best Last Day of School Field Trip Ever!

 So Olivia wanted me to come to one of her end of the year field trips. I asked her, "Do you want me to go to the movie or bowling?" She chose bowling. So, I showed up and was assigned to watch two lanes of kids.  We punched their names in and away they went.  You would think this would be complicated for them or hard for a teacher, but it was probably the best field trip I've ever been to with my kids over the years. I will explain why. 
1.  They just had the kids wear their socks.  Why didn't I think of that.
 2.  The bumper pads set the kids up for success.  It seemed like the worst, most wild bowlers did the best.  Just a little help for the underdog. 
 3.  Not only did they get exercise from bowling, but think of all the dance moves people could have when they get a good  bowl or a bad bowl.  This is the disappointed dance.
 This is the victory dance.
 This is the" I'm so cool," dance.
 4. The boys  move just as much as the girls, but it came out more like a drop to the floor after they bowled.  I couldn't tell if it was out of exhaustion, lack of coordination, or just an excuse to be dramatic. 
My personal favorite was this kid that just slid all the way across the floor back toward the chairs after each bowl.  That in itself would be enough for me.  It looked pretty fun.









5.  It helps with unity.  I'm not sure why, but friends would come up to support each other while bowling.  I think adult leagues could learn a lot by supporting each other.  It may be taken as intimidation, but it's worth a try. 
 
6.  It became a dance party whether they scored or not.
 7. The kids didn't need or want any training or instruction.  They just got that ball moving down the alley and the bumper pads made anything possible.  Spares and strikes were nothing to them.
8. The teacher informed me that they were really antsy after the movie field trip.  She counted on them being plenty tired after bowling.  They bowled for two hours straight. I don't see how they could be anything else. 
 9.  They could be as loud as they wanted because you couldn't hear anyone over the bowling noise.
 10.  They didn't ask for food because they brought their own lunches.
11. Lastly, I got to be with my favorite third grader and her friends.

No comments: