Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Father's Day

I week before Father's Day Jeff and I celebrated our 19th anniversary.  We have been married a long time.  So, just for fun I'd like to tell you what I think of Jeff Jones.  When we were dating, the things that made him different than other guys are that he wasn't always bragging and trying to impress me.  So, the more we dated the more I was impressed, instead of the other way around.  He had a calm confidence, trustworthy demeanor and easygoing way about him.  I noticed he served others easily, and was fun and playful.  He was a strong member of the church and just a good guy.  OK, now as an all knowing  college student I also cared about these things.  He was nice to his mother, he didn't watch sports on TV constantly, he did the dishes, and liked to camp.  I loved how he always held my hand and how we were best friends.  He was  handsome and taller than me.  Sadly, because I was fickle, I liked it that he didn't worship the ground I walked on and how our feelings were equal.  He didn't come on too strong and took things slow.  He was funny and got along with his roomates.  He'd cook for me, and when I'd cook he'd do the dishes.  He was willing to learn country dancing,even though he dropped me a few times. He will go to a dance even though he does do the Deacon shuffle and lacks rythm. He's athletic and ruthless in a snowball fignt.  He takes me seriously and listens to me, which is a biggy.   He sang funny camp songs when we hiked.  He wanted to be an optomitrist, which seemed like a stable profession to me because I was planning on being a stay at home mom.  He loved his mission, and served faithfully.  He was a good hometeacher and treated people well. He was not gross for a guy and kept his noises and spitting to himself.  Can you believe how picky I was.  It's a miracle I even got married at all.  I think it was all the advice I got from my married sisters.  He did blow it at Melinda's when her baby pooped on my leg and Jeff backed away without offering any assistance.  It was pretty funny.  Needless to say, he was the right guy and Heavenly Father approved.
 Even as soon as a week after being married I realized that I got more than I'd bargained for in a good way.  He's not perfect, but he does have two amazing qualities:  The first is humility, which makes him very easy to communicate with.  The other is charity.  He is charitable.  He's not faking it.  He constantly serves me and seems to find joy in it.  I try to spoil him too, but never seem to catch up.  It's pretty much the secret to a happy marriage.  That's why he's such a great husband and father and I am so blessed to have him. 

3 comments:

Kim said...

You are one lucky lady!

Abe n Linz said...

How sweet. He probably feels just as lucky to have you :)

Jenny said...

I think you two deserve each other. So glad he brought you into the family, it wouldn't be the same without you!