Saturday, August 29, 2009

Bells Palsey and Ed Week


A few days after we took our family picture, I had a weird thing happen to me. My right eye started to feel tired and droopy and my face started to tingle. My tongue and mouth also felt coated and kind of numb. Since I have never had this sensation, I started guessing what it could be. I guessed Bells Palsey which is kind of a paralisis of half of your face. It can be caused by a virus, but sometimes it just happens. It looks like a stroke, but is usually temporary. I went to the doctor where he confirmed that I had it and gave a few suggestions and an antibiotic. I had been planning on going to Education Week for over a year. I have an old and dear friend that I meet up with . This year her daughter and mine were able to come. I also invited my sisters and was so happy that my hilarious, pregnant sister Megan came. So, even though I didn't feel 100 percent, I really wanted to go. the tricky part was that my eye was sort of paralysed wide open. It wouldn't completely shut, so it sort of drove me crazy. I finally found some gel drops that would keep it lubricated for more than 30 seconds. Then I would wear a patch with a cotton ball under to keep it closed and give my eye a break every night. I also had a crooked smile, and included a bad picture of me to show how it looked. It was the most noticable when I ate and laughed, which we did a lot of. I am so glad that I had something inspiring and fun to do when it was at it's worst. The other thing that helped was that I went to a lot of youth classes with Katelyn and all that crying really lubricated my eye. I can't tell you how much going inspires me to be better. I went to this one youth class with a presenter that I remember as a youth. He was telling a story about Abraham and how valiant he was as a youth. It made me feel like I want to be like Abraham and I asked Kate if she felt the same way. She did and I felt so thankful for these teachers who play such a part in helping our youth choose the right and follow the Spirit. It was so fun to be with people I love too.
The Bells Palsey only lasted 1 1/2 weeks and was just gone. I'm very thankful that it was so short lived.

7 comments:

Alb said...

You are in trouble girl! Granted I know you were probably busy the whole time but you were in Provo and you didn't call me? OK I know, I passed through I.F. this summer and didn't call you either but you were here for a whole week. What's up with that? Glad to hear the palsey is gone. Call me some time. Love ya Midda Dones! From Me Warna

Travis and Megan Liston said...

That was such a great time! I'm so happy to hear that the Bells Palsey is gone. Did you hear that Susie called Natalie yesterday? She even went in her room and shut the door to talk to her:).-Megan

JulieJ said...

My bro-in-law had that. Did not look fun.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

I didn't even know you had that. HOw much did I see you last week? We need to write less plays, paint less rooms, and visit more.

Jenny said...

I'm so glad you're doing better. Glad you had such a wonderful time...I'd love to come do that with you one year. (From your comments I'm thinking an Abraham song is coming? :D)

Amberly said...

I'm glad the Bells Palsey was short lived. Oh I love Education Week, one of these years I'll go back!

Sarah Katherine said...

It sounds like education week was wonderful! So glad you're feeling better!
:)Sarah