Monday, April 4, 2016

Conference Traditions

Last weekend we had so much fun being together as a family.  Watching conference has always been a part of my family.  I used to have to travel to Fresno as a kid, an hour away to watch it at the church and eat sack lunches.  Then it was Merced 1/2 hour away.  The Saturday session was always fun because we could shop at the mall while the boys did the priesthood session.  Now I get to watch it in my living room.  My dad used to have us take notes and then he would quiz us at the end and we could get candy or pop.  Kids love that kind of game.  So we have evolved over the years with activities and games, but yesterday may have been one of my favorites.  So  the kids mostly take notes, then we have coloring pages and Bingo for the last session. Here are the reason for the notes: 1.It helps them pay attention 2. They need it to  answer questions at the end.  3.We use our conference notes to do a devotional once a week during family scripture study.
So we had Erim, Will and Abigail come for the Sunday session.  After the session I give treats for staying in the room, paying attention, taking notes, taking meaningful notes, then I usually start asking questions. Then at the end I have the kids help with a question and story.  But this year we started with them each asking a question, telling a story and telling something that they liked or learned.  I think it might of been because we had the young adults present, but it felt like a spiritual discussion only with treats.  It was lovely and I enjoyed every minute of it.  Olivia really got it this year.  I mean she understood and comprehended like she never has before.  I think she also understood that the words that were being said were what God wanted us to know and do.  That gave her a better perspective.  We loved being together.
Then I talked to my daughter Katelyn who went to my parents for conference.  My parents don't have a TV in the front room, so the cousins all piled on the bed and watched in my parents bedroom.  Then they ate and had fun discussions with Grandpa and Grandma.  Here is a tip from Grandpa on marriage that he just heard from Elder Uchtdorf in priesthood. It was Kate, Kat and Sam (who are married), Rebecca and Polly.  "Marriage is like a garden.  You start off with flowers and weeds.  You work really hard to get rid of the weeds.  Then you just have flowers and you hug and kiss all the time."  He may have added the hug and kiss all the time, but that sound like how they are.  He also added that you need to praise their strengths and that some of the things that may be the weaknesses at the beginning are the things that teach you the most in the end. It made me feel happy that other people that I love were together having a wonderful day too.



No comments: