Monday, February 2, 2009

Yes or No to Valentines Day

Valentines Day brings a myriad of feelings whether we like it or not. I personally am crazy about Valentines Day. It's not because of what you think. I just feel excited thinking about it. I love to see all the boxes of candy hearts and think about eating delicious chocolates, conversation hearts as nasty tasting as they are and hoping for a dozen roses. Last week Natalie said to me, " Mom I can't wait until we go on our date and get valentine cards. I got that excited feeling like how fun it is to make the big paper heart envelope and how the boys had to give you a valentine. And how I wondered if they really meant the message, but knowing that they didn't have a choice because all of the messages were on the mushy side. One year Kyle agonized over what cards to give to the girls so they wouldn't think that he liked them. Then he wondered if they would like the girl cards that Anna had. So he was thinking about them after all. I just want to crack up at how funny the kids are. I also have fond memories of high school and how we could buy Telesweeties to be delivered in class. They were kind of dumpy xerox copied hearts that cost $1.25.

I never had a boyfriend on Valentines Day for some reason until Jeff. Either I met them after Feb 14 or broke up before. But, in High School I always got a telesweetie whether it was from my sister, friend or one year a boy I had a huge crush on. I had one (boy) friend who always got me a telesweetie. I did the same for him the same year and it became tradition. Jeff and I got engaged in March, so Valentines with him was so fun. I have to mention that I had this pet peeve about guys running through Albertsons after work on Feb. 14 like they didn't know it was coming. Now I'm more lenient because I realize that some people just don't like to be forced to show their love. Luckily Jeff ordered flowers to be delivered on Valentines day. We had a special buddy date ( you know you ask your roomates date for them) I was already scheduled with Jeff, so we dressed formal and played the newly wed game, which I think we won. We don't win anymore either because we have a bad memory or we know each other too well.
The other fun memory I have is the secret pals that we do in our family. I buy a bunch of fun treats, chips, little Debbies, fruit snacks, chocolates etc. Then we draw names, eat the evidence and think of a number for who gets to go shopping first. Then we try to keep the secret and give something every day. Now that the kids are older I have encouraged secret acts of service. Who knows if they will. Then we have a special Valentines meal that Jeff and I serve to the kids and we guess, and reveal who we had.
Then they do a special meal that they serve to us. It is a ton of work, but I still get excited about it. The secret pal thing is a joke because everyone pretty much reveals who they have by the second day with out realizing it, like " I don't have you." Or Have you checked under your pillow? Or last night Natalie hugged me right after we drew names. Then I did it myself as I said to Jeff I can't remember if I have blank or blank and he laughed and said I guess I know who you have. I can't believe I did that. Either way I can't resist Valentines Day. I just love it. OK now I want to know if you say yes or no to Valentines Day. Would you rather skip it or not. Let me know.




17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes or No to Valentines Day... I would have to say Yes and No. Valentine's Day is my birthday. I might blog on that subject, so watch out for that post in the near future.

You guys are an awesome family. I can't believe the work that you go through to make Valentine's so special. I think it is awesome.

Amberly said...

I say Yes! I think it so much fun. I try to do something fun for breakfast and then we always have a candlelit dinner with our kids. It is just a fun day!!

JulieJ said...

I used to say Yes until I became a tax widow. Now not much happens.
Probably the best Valentines day was when Tyce was a week old and Kristen Mackrory and Julean Watt made waffles for the kids and a fancy dinner for me and Tristan.
You have inspired me to make it more fun for my kids though. How fun!

Wammack Family said...

What fun traditions you have with your family!

I enjoy Valentine's Day, I think the sappy, silly, funny, loving things are fun.

Christiejo said...

Mary, I think I am going to steal all your ideas for Valentine's Day. Then we can really have some celebrations in the middle of winter. What a fun thought to celebrate your family love. That's what it's all about!

Travis and Megan Liston said...

Your thoughts on Valentines Day, brought back memories for me...I remember in 5th grade, exchanging Valentines in class. My crush gave me a Valentine that was kind of mushy. He watched me open it, and said, "I didn't know which one I gave you." The funny thing is that as a 5th grader, I had my suspicions, and actually thought he might just be covering up his feelings for me. And I replied with the same thing, "Yeah I didn't know which one I gave you either:)." As for the Secret Pals, I remember when Pete had me one year as a kid and gave me a pair of Strawberry Shortcake socks, I still have them in my treasure chest. And my last thought for you, Travis was my first real Valentine too, and he has always made it a holiday that I LOVE!

Joy said...

I say yes to Valentine's Day. We like to get sparkling cider to drink with dinner. The kids have fun writing an making valentines for their friend. Every year growing up my mom always got us kids a box of chocolates -so I do that for my kids. I try to do something creative for Russell--Last year Jana had a great idea and I used it to. I wrote 50 things I love about Russell and then I wrapped each thing around a candy. He took it to work and thought it was the best thing ever. (he actually made it last the rest of the month of February and into March) I may do it again just cuz he loved it so much!!

Jeanna said...

Your traditions sound like so much fun!! What a great way to focus on others and get to feel special yourself. I would have to say that I'm not that excited for V-day this year. However, I will be heading out of town with my single girlfriends so I think I'll have a good time no matter what!

Tina said...

A few years ago(like 9)there was a HUGE storm and we lost power.
We ended up making peanut butter sandwiches and eating by candlelight (we couldn't cook the steaks) and snuggled the boys down with a ton of blankets.
Now we try to make a nice dinner for the boys and use one of Christmas GC to Roadhouse another night just Jeff and I.
So I say yes :)

Tessa Egan said...

I'm with you. I've always loved Valentines Day, valentine or no valentine. I always wear red or pink. And I love any excuse to celebrate anything. Valentines Day brightens up my February.

Rachel said...

I love your traditions! I have always loved Valentine's Day, so I say yes. My love for Valentine's Day only became greater when Rob and I decided to become "officially boyfriend and girlfriend" on Valentine's Day. It's such a great holiday.

Jessie said...

I say yes! We have that same tradition too! It's super fun, and I love it! Now, that I think about it, we probably got the idea from you. Happy Valentine's Day (a little early)!

Sarah Katherine said...

Definitely YES! :)Sarah

Jenny said...

Yes, after Phil; no before him. We aren't nearly as creative as you, but we have fun as a family, its different every year. Some years I've done the 14 days of Valentines; some years a treasure hunt, some years all pink and red food. Some years, not much!

Kendee said...

well of course i looooooove valentines day. people say nice things to me, give me gifts, and my mother makes a cake in my honor.....................................................................................but only becasue it's also my birthday!!
But no, i have always loved the pink, and the little cards, and the fru-fru-y-ness of it all!

so there was the comment im sure you always wanted!!


dorky website name i know...but here it is....
gracelessme.blogspot.com

Mallory Stoker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mallory Stoker said...

I say YES! I love holidays because they make regular days more bright and exciting. You have some fun traditions that I think I will have to start in my family!