Thursday, March 5, 2009

Smells Take Me Back

Today I was in Deseret Book waiting for them to engrave on Kristen's new scriptures and Natalie wanted to smell the Salt City Candles. So, to entertain, I opened the lids to avoid any accidents. The first candle was lilac, nothing, then we smelled watermelon and a flood of happy feelings came over me. I bought that candle when Kyle, Kate and Anna were 4 and under, when I lived on the west side. I picture a blue counter top and everyone around the kitchen table, or the girls doing dances on the blue carpet. I didn't even particularly love that candle, which is why we had it so long. 
Then Fruit Slices reminded me of the end of our stay on the west side when Kristen was a baby and the others were a little older
My absolute favorite Salt City Candle is Christmas Trimmings. For some reason some of my siblings feel the same way. It reminds us of getting out the ornaments to put on the tree. It's a mix of citrus, old tissue paper and old pine needles, or a new Christmas tree. I have no idea how they did it, but it takes me back.  Some other smells I love are plumeria, it reminds me of my semester at BYU Hawaii. Honeysuckle reminds me of running around in the back yard as a kid as well as the after rain smell. I have so many with this one. Drakar reminds me of dating Jeff. I could go on and on.

6 comments:

Amberly said...

Me too Mary! The smell of homemade chicken noodle soup will always remind me of my Grandma's house. She makes it everytime we visit, plus delicious chocolate chip cookies.

When I first met Tyler he had a cinnamon air freshener in his car, and I loved it. I buy the Yankee Candle cinnamon airfresheners for my car because it is such a nostalgic fragrance for me.

Rachel said...

Me too! Crazy, but when I was a freshman, I was going through HJ's perfume. I smelled one and said, "You wore this when you were in college eleven years ago." I would have been 7.

JulieJ said...

Love the pictures and the memories. I love chlorine and sunscreen for lazy summer days. I also love the smell of gasoline on snowmobiles. Weird, I know.

Anonymous said...

I have never had a great sniffer, but there is a certain brand of hairspray (yes I am an 80's big hair kinda girl) that reminds me of that freshman year in college when 6 girls at 1 mirror trying to get ready in the morning. I love smells that remind me of more carefree days.
By the way I love the picture of you and Jeff!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I love the smell of freshly cleaned laundry or dryer sheets. They make me feel happy. :o)

Travis and Megan Liston said...

I agree. I remember being at Ricks College and I got some friends and we lined up the shampoos and I had them close their eyes and just guess the smells. Speaking of Ricks, Peach Suave Shampoo, and Honeydew Yankee candle=Ricks College. Escape cologne=Travis Liston (when we were first married). Christmas Trimmings=totally our childhood Christmas.