Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Frogs and Snakes





I think every child at one time in their life has wanted a pet. Well, poor Kyle has wanted a snake for as long as I can remember. Last summer he actually caught one, named Steve and we had it for a while. It finally died and we have learned a few things about light and temperature, etc. So he is spending his precious money on supplies first. Then he will save for a Corn snake. They start out small, I promise Grammy.
A few years ago, Kyle and Jeff caught a Bull snake, I think, and it was big. Kyle kept it in a huge plastic rubbermade with the top cut for air. Well, it got out once and Kyle caught it. Then one day after church I saw it winding back and forth really fast accross the tile. It was so creepy I mean really creepy! Even Kyle said," I think we should let it go. " The rubbermade was right above his head when he slept, and I think even he got the heebie jeebies, which is hard for Kyle.
So, while we were out shopping for snake supplies Kyle spotted these little African Frogs. They only get the size of a siver dollar. So, Kristen and Natalie pooled their money and bought two. They are $3.00 each, and we bought food. Well, when we got to the check out stand, I didn't realize that their money was mostly in change. Luckily when we dumped out the 200 plus pennies, dimes, nickel and quarters on the counter no one was behind us. We counted as fast as we could and only got one funny comment from an onlooker. It made me feel like he thought it was my money saved up to buy food. It was funny. The other bonus is we have a 90 day refund period. You just bring the dead frog back and they will refund. I kept asking so you really have to bring the dead body back. And he said you don't have to touch it, just put it in something. So, OK that's the plan. We have never had a frog before. How many different kinds of pets have you had over the years? It's interesting to see.
Can you see the frogs?

9 comments:

Kim said...

Since I've been married to Todd, we've owned 2 snakes, 4 turtles, anoles (lizards), fish, 2 dogs, and now we have 2 frogs. It's a continuous pet shop here. Frogs are easy...keep them warm, a light and feed them crickets. Good luck!

Taneil said...

I can't believe that you have had a snake! You are such a nice mom! We have had a hamster and a puppy (for 1 month). I can't wait to see your play...let me know when it is.

Jenny said...

Mary, you are way nicer than me. I would never let one of our kids have a snake as a pet. All we've had is 3 dogs and 1 cat. Our current dog is the winner for longevity, we've had him for 2.5 years. The shortest was one of our dogs only lasted 48 hours. :)

Amberly said...

Oh boy a snake! I don't know if I will ever be that nice of a mom. I think the frogs are cute, I also love that your girls put their change together to buy them. We had three goldfish at our house and they lasted about 48 hours. I am not a pet person. My poor deprived children!

Jill Jones said...

A snake! Mary! Wow I couldn't handle that. You are super mom! We've had the occasional pet, but they don't last long, Fish, Newt, Bunny, Dog.

Anonymous said...

I draw the line with any reptiles except for African frogs. We've had them a lot through the years. They are so cute and they will live long if you don't put them with any other fish.

Right now we have two rats and a dog. Everyone thinks we are crazy for having rats. I've had almost all (domesticated) rodent pets before, and the rat is by far the best.

(I wouldn't want your snake to visit. He would find two yummy treats.)

The Freed Family said...

I am NOT a pet person. I never have been and never will be. My kids thing it is not fair that we can't have pets, but I always tell them that when they are the mom they can have as many pets as they want.
We have had one pet, and that was only because Garrett won it at a school carnival. It was a goldfish, and I hated it but the kids loved it. After 1 month I flushed it down the toilet....they still remember and they are still mad at me....as I am sure some of you reading this will be mad at me and start calling me a fish killer! In my defense, the thing just stunk and grossed me out every time I was in the kitchen.

Megan and Charlie Miller said...

Snakes!! I am not sure I could do snakes. I have had so many pets over the years. I think I even had a pet worm once. :) So fun

Anonymous said...

You are a brave mom! Maybe, if I ever get a son, I will venture into reptile land! The picture of all of your eyes is soooo cool! And beautiful!
Jules