Saturday, November 29, 2008

Zipline


My senior year in High School, I was sitting in my bedroom doing homework when I looked outside, and their was a raging fire at my Grandma and Grandpa Miller's house which was on our property near the barn. I called the fire department and ran out to help my grandparents who were walking toward our house. It was the wierdest thing. The wind was blowing so hard that their house, many trees and that side of the barn were burned in an instant. It had started by a little earthquake that had shaken the hot water heater loose. They were uninjured and ended up moving back to Utah. I remember digging through this huge pile of burnt items and salvaging some pictures. My Dad never rebuilt any buildings their. He decided to plant a forest of Eucalyptus trees instead. So, growing up they were just seedlings. My children have been the ones to benefit.

Every year Jeff and the kids get so excited to see what they will create in the forest. With wood and twine. It may be a platform, bench, or a jerry rigged zipline.Deciding is all part of the fun. While we were gone my Dad had the Scouts help him create a more solid zipline. That was definitely the hit. It was so fun. Even I tried to look cool doing it. I think I am just too old to look cool doing anything anymore. It was still fun.



The things they did decide to create were bows and arrows. We're into Robin Hood lately. They, including Jeff and Kate spent many hours with the bows and arrrow. Didn't I tell you my parents house was like the Garden of Eden, well I guess minus all the flowers and Adam and Eve. Sorry about so many pictures, but I just can't resist.

9 comments:

Taneil said...

That looks like so much fun! I wish We were there instead of the freezing cold.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a blast. There doesn't seem to be a better place for imaginations to run wild and make great memories!

Jill Jones said...

That is so awesome! That's gonna be some of their favorite memories growing up!

Wammack Family said...

That looks like so much fum. What a great opportunity for the kids to grow up using their imaginations.

Amberly said...

It looks like California was fun! I am glad you are home!

JulieJ said...

So jealous. What cool memories. My grandpa had an orchard in Cali when we were growing up. Wish he still lived there.

Jenny said...

Looks like you had a great time, I'm so glad...LOVED talking to you today, good luck with this week :)

Travis and Megan Liston said...

Mary, you do look cool on the zip line! It was so great to see you all. Love-Megan

Melinda said...

I am soooo jealous,and yes, everything you said was true. Can we please go togethter so your kids can show the ropes to my kids. It would be just like me and you again at age 9 and 10, in 1075 I love you so so so much you are one of my favorite people int the whole world of existence ever. Have a great day and PS I loved the who in Katelyn Jones bit. Love Melinda