Friday, October 2, 2009

I Can Read !

Natalie is in kindergarten and knows how to write her name. We have been writing her name for a while. She also copies words I write, but has never really been ready for reading. For months she will write a bunch of letters and ask if it is a word, which it usually isn't. If it says btrsd and I say butrusda, she'll yell trust or some word that she heard me say that makes it a real word in her mind. I finally told her the vowel rule and she tried to include a vowel in her words. Then yesterday she copied a few words that she saw around the house like sassoon, menu and emachines. She actually sounded out part of it and said, " Mom I can read, " and she actually could. I was so surprised. Those magic words turned on a light. She had confidence and tried to read books we found around the house. The scriptures were actually the easiest because she could find small words hear and there. She is a new woman and believes that she can read. Today as she tried to sound out "now"and "open," she said, "Mom I'm only five and I can read a little." She can't wait to tell her teacher.
Last week Natalie also lost her first tooth and lost the other front, bottom tooth the next day. She's rich. What happened to the tooth fairy giving a nickel or even a quarter. The tooth fairy must be a millionaire with that bag of change that she gave Natalie.

3 comments:

Alb said...

I love it. What a cute girl. Has she ever spelled Midda Dones? I know what that one says.
Love,
Mi Warna

Jenny said...

I love the new lost tooth grin...she's so cute. I also love how she is opening up a world that was locked to her before, such an exciting journey!

Travis and Megan Liston said...

Wow, that's impressive. So months ago when Tommy lost a tooth, the tooth fairy forgot to show up. He came in my room the next day and said, "The tooth fairy's kind of mean." :) But then he excused her and said, "My tooth fell under my bed, she probably couldn't find it." She came the next night. -Megan