Monday, October 5, 2009

I Saw the Prophet

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:
"Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown!"
And he replied:
"Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God.
That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way!"
M. Louise Haskins

 We went to conference for the first time for our oldest four children. As for Jeff and I, we haven't been since BYU days. Friday night we were getting prepared for a whirlwind trip to Salt Lake to attend the Sunday morning session with our kids. When Jeff took a closer look at the tickets, four tickets were for Sat. afternoon and only three tickets were for Sunday morning. So, we scrambled. Kyle had his last football game, Saturday at 12:00pm and he didn't want to miss it, so I drove to SLC, Sat with the three big girls and attended the afternoon session in the Conference Center. It was awesome, and to hear 21,000 people singing together was my favorite part. Driving in Salt Lake City with all the constuction, finding an obscure parking lot, and walking as fast as we could so we wouldn't lose our seat wasn't my favorite part. It was so worth it though when I stood with my kids as the prophet and his counselors walked in. Jeff and Kyle went to the morning session and pretty much sat for 1 1/2 half before the session started because of the "Spoken Word. " Kyle hung in and didn't even complain. Maybe it was because Jeff kept reminding him of how cool and momentous it was for him to be there. Jeff said that he'd wished I was there when the choir sang, "Come Thou Fount, " my favorite song. Thomas S. Monson gave an amazing talk, that will be quoted many times in the future. "Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you and will stand by you. D&C 68:6.







5 comments:

JulieJ said...

Very cool. Me and Tristan went in college too. That is my favorite song too.

The Freed Family said...

How awesome. Anna told my kids when she was babysitting Friday night that she was going, so she must have been excited. You are such a good mom to let Kyle go to his game and drive separate. I couldn't do that.

Jenny said...

For all the years we lived in Utah, only Phil and Davis went to a live session of conference. What a wonderful experience for your kids.

Rachel said...

That looks so fun! Wish I could have been there too! I love going to conference

anna said...

that was so cool thaks for taking us.